Posts Tagged ‘alcohol’
by Barbara Mcmahon
Last updated at 12:50 PM on 5th October 2011
Sheila Riley will never forget the moment the jaw-droppingly handsome man flashed her a dazzling smile and politely asked: ‘You wouldn’t care to join me for dinner, would you? I hate eating alone.’
The invitation came from movie star Paul Newman and the only reason Sheila hesitated was because she was meant to be working.
It was the summer of 1963 and British-born Sheila was a Pan am air hostess. she was accustomed to meeting famous passengers, but nothing prepared her for the meal she shared at 35,000ft with one of greatest film heart-throbs of all time.
Glamorous life: (left to right) Bronwen, Anne and Sheila
Newman had already set hearts fluttering when he boarded the plane, quietly storing his bag in the overhead locker before settling into seat 2F in the first-class cabin.
‘Itook his coat to hang it up and offered him a drink,’ says Sheila. ‘I was all of a dither, even though I tried not to show it.
‘He was devastatingly good-looking and I had him all to myself because I was the only hostess working first-class that day.’
Sheilahad to seek the permission of the captain before taking a seat oppositeNewman to share a meal of caviar, lobster and profiteroles, washed downwith Dom Perignon champagne.
‘I wasn’t meant to drink alcohol on duty, so I swigged my champagne out of a coffee cup so no one would notice,’ says Sheila.
Despitehis fame and good looks, Newman didn’t flirt with 25-year-old Sheila. Instead he spoke about his joy at being a husband and father.
‘He was the perfect gentleman. He washappily married to Joanne Woodward and it was obvious how in love he was. it was so refreshing to hear a man talk about his wife in such a loving way,’ says Sheila.
Glamorous: The stars of Pan am, set to be screened on the BBC this autumn
‘Hewanted to know all about me and the places I had travelled to. it was acouple of years after he’d made The Hustler and he was a big star. He said he envied me my freedom.
‘After45 minutes I said I had better get back to work. He thanked me for my company and settled down for a snooze before landing.’
Sheila was a stewardess during the golden age of flying when service always came with a dazzling smile.
PanAm, a TV series to be screened by the BBC this autumn, captures that glamorous heyday. The show takes a romanticised look at the lives and loves of the handsome pilots and beautiful air stewardesses who travelled the world seeking adventure and romance.
In their smart, sky-blue uniforms and pillbox hats, Pan am air hostesses were the envy of women the world over.
‘Itwasn’t a job, it was a lifestyle,’ says Sheila. ‘We shopped for gloves and shoes in Rome, perfume in Paris, pearls in Tokyo and had our clothesmade in Hong Kong.
‘We had a knees-up on every stop-over — the first thing we would do on landing was buy bottles of gin.’
Now based in New York, 73-year-old glamorous grandmother Sheila was born in Bolton. she started working forthe U.S. airline in 1960 at the age of 22 — one of only three applicants out of 2,000 to make the grade in that round of hiring.
She applied out of a spirit of adventure. ‘All my friends were getting engaged and married, but I didn’t want to do that. when I saw an advert for the job, I knew it was my escape route,’ she says.
Itis a sentiment shared by Bronwen Roberts, also now in her 70s. Brought up in Porthmadog, she was heading for a staid life as a teacher when sheapplied to Pan am in 1958.
Thejobs were so coveted that both women became mini-celebrities in their home towns and appeared in the local press. ‘Now she’s to be an air girl!’ exclaimed a headline in Bronwen’s local newspaper.
Theywere flown first-class to New York on Pan am flights to start their newlives. Training for the coveted winged badge was rigorous — it includedbeing dumped in the ocean and having to swim to a life-raft. But mostlyit was about learning the art of serving the lucky passengers who couldafford to fly in that era.
Golden age: Pan am recreates the time when air travel was the height of glamour
Mealsin first-class were provided by the famous Maxim’s restaurant in Paris:seven-course affairs presented on fine china and table linens.
For this, they earned
[...] Read more … like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. this entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Nature’s answer Perio Wash,alcohol-free,cinnamon 16 Oz Reviews [...]
Like or Dislike: 0 0
Acupuncture has been an effective tool in the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction centers. It has proven to be a great tool in the process of detoxification to ease the pain and repair the damage incurred by the physiology of the addicts because of the alcohol or drug abuse. Addiction depletes the pain and stress relief hormones known as endorphins in the body.
Auricular acupuncture, which deals with acupuncture of the outer ear, has resulted in the production of endorphins to assist in the recovery from addiction. Auricular acupuncture is done through needles, massaging and cauterizing. this reduces stress and relieves the addict of the pain he or she had been suffering due to the effects alcohol and drugs had on them.
Also referred to as auriculotherapy, auricular acupuncture has been used and medically practiced in China for many decades. unlike standard acupuncture that involves inserting needles all over the body to create a healing effect, auricular acupuncture only involves the ear. the belief behind this kind of acupuncture is that the outer ear called the auricle has points of the complete body.
Addiction clinics use this form of acupuncture to heal any sickness that has surfaced in any part of the body due to the addiction. the auricle or outer ear, believed to comprise of all the necessary stimulating points for acupuncture, the entire anatomy of a person can be treated for any pain.
Addiction centers use auricular acupuncture to treat cocaine addiction and ease out the signs of withdrawal. In this process, five different needles are inserted in five different points on the ear. these points are believed to ease the pain of certain organs of the body. this kind of acupuncture takes care of the cravings for cocaine that the addicts have. Not only does the acupuncture deal with the cravings but also bring relief to the addict by repairing the damage on his or her physiology due to the long-term addiction.
The points for auricular acupuncture on the outer ear include sympathetic point, shenmen point, kidney point, liver point and lung point. the sympathetic point is meant for relaxing the internal body organs and facilitating the release of pain-relief hormones, endorphins. the shenmen point is for induces sleep as most addicts suffer from insomnia. Acupuncture on this point also reduces stress. the kidney point of the auricle helps in proper digestion of nutritional food and heals any damage incurred by the kidney due to the severity of the addiction.
The liver point helps in smooth functioning of the liver and repairs any harm suffered by it. Pressure of acupuncture on the liver point maintains the health of the liver of the addict. the lung point is used for auricular acupuncture in the process of Detox. It helps in proper circulation of oxygen inside the body and imparts proper breathing.
Auricular acupuncture benefits the addiction clinics through cost savings and effective and quicker recovery of patients. It helps in reducing the use of prescribed medications. even the most difficult clients can be made to undergo this treatment. Many addiction rehabs and clinics have been using this form of acupuncture to offer better and improved health services to their patients.
It's come to the stage where my partner wakes up more than several times every night. We've tried many ways to cure such as low caffeine throughout the day and especially evening, alcohol and relaxation techniques. He still complains he can't sleep. any advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
Keep the window open a little, let some fresh air in.
is ur matress too hard or soft?
sometimes this can be the problem
sorry i ***** help more
For the pet owner, grooming a Yorkie can be quite a challenge. Here are a few tips on how to groom your Yorkie:
1) Frequency of bathing depends on the type of shampoo you use on your Yorkie. I use a natural shampoo on our fur babies (Yorkie Splash), and I bathe them once a week. Natural (organic) shampoos do not strip the natural oils out of the skin and hair, and bathing more frequently is okay. but, if you use a standard shampoo (one with alcohol and other chemical ingredients), it is (in my opinion) best to bathe your Yorkie about once every 2 weeks. Chemical products can remove the natural oils from the skin and hair. this can cause damage to the hair if used too frequently. but, if your Yorkie is dirty, give him a bath. I just don’t suggest bathing more than once every 2 weeks with a regular shampoo if your Yorkie is not dirty.
2) Regular brushing is an important part of Yorkie grooming. Never brush a Yorkie if his coat is dry. this can cause the hair to break. when you brush your Yorkie’s coat, use a spray conditioner to soften the hair. I use a diluted crème rinse in a spray bottle and spray the solution on to the brush. you should brush your Yorkie’s coat daily. when brushing the hair, start at the end of the strands of hair and work your way up to the body. if you encounter a tangle or mat, do not pull on it with the brush. Use your fingers to pull apart the tangled hair (again, working from the bottom upward), then gently brush through the tangle. Be sure to check the underside of your Yorkie where the legs connect to the body – this is where most mats occur and they are easily overlooked.
3) Yorkies need special attention paid to their teeth. Yorkies, like other toy breeds, are prone to tooth decay. Regular brushing of your Yorkie’s teeth is a good idea. I use regular brushing in combination with giving Greenies once a week, as well as yearly teeth cleaning by our veterinarian. there are many tooth cleaning products made for dogs, and you can find a tooth brush and paste at any pet supply store.
4) A Yorkie’s nails need to be kept trimmed. you can have your vet or groomer do it for you, or, you can trim the nails yourself. I use a Millers Forge Pet Nail Clipper. it has a safety bar on it to help guide you when trimming the nails. part of the difficulty in trimming a Yorkie’s nails lies in the fact that the nails are black, and it is hard to tell where the underlying skin begins in the nail bed. if you are going to trim your Yorkie’s nails yourself, it is a good idea to have some corn starch or flour on hand in case you do cut the nail too close and cause the nail to bleed. Some people prefer a styptic powder or liquid to stop a bleed (something like Kwik Stop), but, I prefer something as natural as possible. I have used a styptic pencil on myself in the past, and it burns, so I try to avoid using styptic products.
5) For younger puppies and some adults, it is necessary to keep the ear hair trimmed. this is something you can do yourself at home if you like. in order to encourage a puppy’s ears to stand erect, it is important to remove the added weight of the hair on the ears. there are many different opinions on the best way to do this. whichever way you are most comfortable with is probably the best way for you and your Yorkie puppy.
Personally, I use a 4 blade razor (like Gillette Mach 4 or Venus) to remove the hair from the ears. For puppies with thicker ears, I take off the hair about 3/4 down the ear on the outside and about 1/2 of the ear on the inside. For Yorkie puppies with thinner ears, I take off about ¼ to ½ of the hair on the outside, and the same on the inside. The easiest way I have found to do this is, after bathing while the ear is wet, run the razor over the ear going with the growth of the hair (moving from the base to the tip of the ear). Running the razor over once will essentially remove a layer of hair and thin the hair out. Don’t worry, you aren’t going to shave the ear bald with one “swipe.”
If you want the ears to be completely hair free, plan on spending about 30 minutes going over and over the ear with the razor. I usually run the razor over the outside of the ear about 3 or 4 times, and usually 2 times on the inside. after I have thinned the hair on the ears, I also trim the hair on the ear tips with scissors. I usually just get as close to the ear leather as I can, holding the edge of the ear between two fingers (length-wise to protect the ear) and trim off the tips of the ear, about ¼ inch on each side of the tip.
a. after trimming the ear hair, it is a good idea to clean the ears. Ears are dark, moist places that can be prone to bacterial and yeast infections. Keeping the inside of the ears clean can prevent a lot of headache. to clean the ears, you can use any store brand ear cleaning solution, or you can make your own solution of ½ rubbing alcohol and ½ vinegar (any kind of vinegar will do: white, apple cider, anything). Put a few drops of solution into your Yorkie’s ears and use a cotton swab around the inside of the ears to remove the debris. Be careful to only swab the part of the ear and ear canal that you can see. though, because of the anatomy of a dog’s ear it would be very difficult to harm the ear drum with the cotton swab, going too deep in the ear canal can pack any debris further down the ear canal. if your Yorkie has a lot of debris in the ear or if you suspect an infection, take him to your vet.
6) it is also a good idea to keep the area under your Yorkie’s tail trimmed (right around the anus). Long hair in this area tends to get rather icky pretty quickly. how you trim up this part of your Yorkie is up to you and your comfort zone. A lot of people leave this to the groomer. Some people use an electric trimmer or scissors. I use scissors and do it myself, but your Yorkie has to really trust you.
7) as far as trimming the hair over the body of your Yorkie, I recommend taking your baby to a professional groomer. if you want to trim your Yorkie’s hair yourself and you feel comfortable, go for it. but, for most pet owners, it is easier to take their Yorkie to the groomer once every month or two as opposed to the stress of clipping the hair themselves. if you want some tips on how to cut your Yorkie’s hair yourself, there is some good information at members.cox.net/jrogan/care.html
Having a healthy lifestyle does not guarantee that an individual would not get sick because no matter how good a person takes care of himself, unforeseen things can still happen. the healthiest person you know might wake up one day and find out that he has cancer. People are getting sick everyday, yet affordable health insurance is not available to all.
All individuals need affordable health insurance to protect from not only financial disaster but to also give peace of mind. the sad reality is that most people have habits that are detrimental to their health such as choosing unhealthy foods, cigarette smoking, lack of exercise and alcohol and drug abuse.
The salaries of people do not usually increase as quickly as health care costs do. the steep price of the advanced and highly technical medical diagnostic and treatment procedures ordered by physicians make people think twice about going to the hospital. they usually wait until the last minute to do so – by this time, the disease has progressed. this is the reason why affordable health insurance is desired and needed by everyone.
Affordable health insurance is a way of safeguarding oneself in case of illnesses or injuries. it assures us that should anything happen, affordable health insurance is there.
There are a lot of health insurance packages out there offered by various companies but one should choose the most suitable, most affordable health insurance coverage because not all packages offer the same. some affordable health insurance coverage programs offer premiums that are lower than the others. one should choose the affordable health insurance program that would fit his situation and weed out those affordable health insurance coverage that offers packages that he does not really need.
In choosing affordable health insurance program, one should also take into consideration the time length required to pay the plan. There are some affordable health insurance programs that are applicable only for a fixed period, say 30 years. other affordable health insurance programs extend until the death of the insured. Additional payments should also be considered in choosing for affordable health care programs.
Managed care plans are affordable health insurance are pre-arranged and work with hospitals. some prefer this affordable health insurance. this type of coverage saves time and effort because they have doctors and hospitals affiliated with them.
However, some prefer other affordable health plans that are flexible enough to allow them to seek treatment from their own doctors and choose the hospitals they like. Be careful in choosing among the different affordable health insurance programs. Choosing the wrong one will waste money and time. Study all your different options when in the process of choosing affordable health insurance. You will most likely find the one that works the best for you!